A Critical Evaluation of Reputation in the Field of Sports Business
Research proposal introduction:-
Explains the business context for the research & what is known about this topic?
Reputation management is the mechanism of endeavoring to character public perception of a specific, person, brand, or entity. It is much more critical than business persons contemplate. All the players need to deliberate the dynamic and importance of reputation management. Moreover, it is critical to create a balanced structure of handling, preserving, and building a repute that is constructive to the progression of the athletes and businesses in the fast-changing industry, which remains the focus of media and public.
Present the research question or title of the research, which will flow from the literature review
The research title is “A Critical Evaluation of Reputation in the Field of Sports Business.”
The following are the main research questions that have been surfaced due to a limited literature review.
- Is it really beneficial to allocate resources and devise strategies for enhancing reputation in the field of sports business? The special focus would be on sports clubs.
- How can Keller’s model of brand development, Aaker’s model and similar other models guide the players and business managers of sports clubs in enhancing reputation in the field of sports business?
- What unique core values can be identified and advertised or promoted to enhance reputation in the sports business field?
- How can a player or an entity be differentiated from competitive brands and players?
Describes the aims and objectives of the investigation
Aims of the study
The major aims of the project include a critical analysis of sport management’s responsibilities. How does leadership help in the protection of a sportsperson’s reputation? The advantages and disadvantages of being in the spotlight and the growing need for prompt and image building communication. The researchers intend to achieve an in-depth understanding of reputation, its importance in business growth, and its management through the proposed research.
Research Objectives of the study
- To scrutinize and assess the duties of players and managers in managing the reputation of sports establishments.
- To scrutinize and assess the responsibilities in handling the players’ standing.
- To ascertain how the sports clubs’ management might provide assistance in the protection of sportsperson’s repute?
- The negative and positive aspects of players’ and organizations’ engagement in social media.
- To find the influence of CSR on consumer attitudes.
- To discover the contractual and ethical obligations of a player to be a representative model.
- The reputation management for players.
- To inspect the positive and negative bearings of the decisions of the leadership on players’ game.
- To prepare a methodical perspective on the administration of establishments regarding reputation management.
Demonstrates the relevance of the study.
**The literature review:-
The hypothesis or effect on modern sporting firms and athletes
The main hypotheses are listed below:
- It is really beneficial to allocate resources and devise strategies for enhancing reputation in the field of sports business.
- The Keller model of brand development and Aaker’s model guide the players and business managers of sports organizations in enhancing reputation in the field of sports business.
- A plethora of unique core values can be identified and advertised or promoted to enhance reputation in the sports business field.
- A player or an entity might be differentiated from competitive brands and players.
A critical review of the literature related to the issue you are investigating.
- Presents a conceptual framework that will underpin the proposed empirical research.
A variety of scholarly literature is available on the topic under review. The experts believe that the “image revolution” is happening due to organizational and individual efforts to enhance reputation (Avraham and Ketter, 2008). However, many critics raise questions on the rationale of resource allocation for improving standing in the field of sports business. Therefore it seems logical to explore studies and examine the points raised by such critics. Similarly, sustainability and sport are now resolutely connected. Sports marketing is, therefore, increasingly about giving consumers the sensation that they are doing something virtuous. KL Keller believes that to increase their reputation; the organization might link their brands “to other people, places and things” (Keller, 2020). The focus on sustainability might be used to enhance the image and reputation. Worthy examples of sustainable sports products are jackets made from recycled materials. The trend towards environmental protection goes so far that collecting garbage while jogging has become praise worthy drive.
In the first step, the researcher has refined the research questions and research objectives. Such queries and goals provide a clear conceptual framework that will underpin the proposed empirical research. The preliminary literature review has also revealed that players and sports organizations are concerned about their reputation, and they spend considerably on improving their image. The present research would shed light on the ways to enhance the reputation of players and sporting organizations specifically sports clubs.
Explains how the research may contribute to the existing scenario.
The proposed research might have significant theoretical and practical value. It is proposed that the final paper might include both actual case studies and academic discussions on the topic. It would increase the contributory value of the research.
Presents a research design that is clearly aligned to the research questions and conceptual framework.
The research would be conducted in a systematic manner, as shown in the following diagram. The secondary data would be collected from the online and offline libraries in the guidance of distinguished supervisor.
Diagram 1- The conceptual framework (Maxwell, 2019)
The Theoretical Framework
The research would be conducted as per the theoretical framework. The diagram of the theoretical framework would be developed after a detailed review of the literature.
Positivism (or a positivist epistemology or a positivist epistemological position)
The proposed research follows positivism because the author would give high weightage to observations derived from previous case studies and research. It is a prominent feature of positivism (Woodside, 2010).
Realism –Humans are not like objects but are subject to social stimuli and processes including empiricism and positivism. This highlights the significance of realism and is also concerned with the social world and its primary structures. The proposed study would touch on many aspects of realism.
In the proposal (Ethics section), Identify issues arising
The author envisions that numerous ethical problems would arise. Such issues might include confidentiality and truthfulness.
Explain how issues will be dealt with
The researcher would try to follow all the applicable ethical principles. As suggested by Kardelis, there is no single solution to all moral issues, and one needs to strike the right balance (Žukauskas, Vveinhardt, and Andriukaitienė, 2018). Whenever there will be an ethically conflicting situation, the researcher would seek the guidance of esteemed supervisor.
Avraham, E. and Ketter, E. (2008). Media strategies for marketing places in crisis: improving the image of cities, countries, and tourist destinations. Amsterdam: Butterworth Heinemann.
Keller, K.L., 2020. Leveraging secondary associations to build brand equity: theoretical perspectives and practical applications. International Journal of Advertising, 39(4), pp.448-465.
Maxwell, J.A 2019. Qualitative Research Design. In: Paul Atkinson, ed., SAGE Research Methods Foundations. London: SAGE Publications, Ltd. https://www.doi.org/10.4135/9781526421036788354 [Accessed 10 Jun 2021].
Woodside, A.G. (2010). Organizational Culture, Business-to-Business Relationships, and Interfirm Networks. Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
Žukauskas, P., Vveinhardt, J. and Andriukaitienė, R. (2018). Research Ethics. Management Culture and Corporate Social Responsibility. [online] Available at: https://www.intechopen.com/books/management-culture-and-corporate-social-responsibility/research-ethics.