Why are people moving out of California
California is considered a golden state of the US, it has job opportunities and career for the people, however, the cost of living is much higher. Due to this fact, people are leaving California rapidly, and migrating to other states of the country. According to DiCamillo (2019), people are moving from California to other states due to many reasons including high taxes, unemployment, the political culture of the state and due to overcrowding. According to the reports in about 691,000 people decided to leave the golden state, while about 501,000 people decided to shift to California, as they were dreaming for their favorite destination. The population of the state has a negative slope during the last decade. This paper will examine the reasons behind the exodus from the state and its effects on the economy, culture, and politics of the state.
The aim of the study
This study aims to investigate and analyze the reasons for the migration of people from California to other states of the country.
II. Literature Review
- Part 1 History of California
- California is famous for the gold rush when gold was found for the first time in 1848. Due to this fact, about 300,000 people moved to this state from other states. The population of the state suddenly raised, and the city developed to a proper statehood.
- Part 2 Key issues of California
- In California, the income tax rate is highest, and the top 10 highest corporate income tax rates. Californians don’t get the benefits of the rapidly growing economy of the state.
- The living expense is higher in the state, rents of the building need to be affordable.
- Part 3 Impacts of immigration of the state
It also affected the economy and business in the state. Due to overpopulation in past prices of real estate, rents, and other things soared. Now people are shifting to other cities where the living cost is lower (Clarke, 2019).
III. Conclusion and Recommendations
California was one of the ideal places when gold was discovered for the first time. The population of the state raised rapidly which lead to inflation. However, due to the higher cost of living and fewer employment opportunities, people are moving out of the state which has its own effects on the state.
Clarke, R. (2019). Westworld’s: The Frontier Politics of Suburban California in Philip K. Dick’s Space Colonies. Foundation, 48(133), 74-86.
DiCamillo, M. (2019). Tabulations from a September 2019 Survey of California Registered Voters about Living in California.