The subject paper called “Blueprint for English Language Learner Success” elucidates the innovative challenges of New York’s ELL reforms. The newly implicated reforms in the ELL’s progression were updated according to devised rules of empire state and address the issues of schools which serve ELL on K-12 level. The policy or reformation asserts a necessity for schools and districts to develop a few underlying alterations which influence ELL’s educational process. The major changes include:
- Innovative instructional framework to expand the integration of English as second language by implementing co-teaching strategies.
- Setting up a district-based preamble to provide bilingual education in ELL domestic language by applying the rule of dual immersion models.
- Particular quota specifications for ELL professional improvement for all relevant people including mainstream, specialists and teachers.
- The policy reforms also highlight the imperativeness of family engagement and elucidate the need of additional parent-teacher meetings on the development of lingual proficiency.
Throughout the report it is recommended to all states to devise their strategies by bench marking the experiences and policies of New York. For this purpose it is advised to:
- Formulate and commune an ELL-based vision through states
- Devise strategies and policies to utilize mother-tongue as a helping tool in ELL learning process
- Develop integrating policies to develop language as well as academic instructions
- Create systems to encase statewide administrating policies which in turn will prepare teachers to attain competency in field of ELL and will help them to meet the improved and innovative regulatory requirements and expectations.
- Develop planning structures to coordinate and associate with administrative practices of different institutions as well as of higher-education. Moreover, the incorporation with state legislature is also significant to assure the optimal implementation of policies.
Assessment procedurals are also important to boost the effectiveness of overall reformation and therefore it is required to:
- Implicating authentic standards for assessing the efficacy of learning process
- Utilization of authentic and practical devices to evaluate the progress of ELL’s students having different impairments.
- Application of analytical rubrics to give useful feedback on content knowledge and development of language.
Blueprint for English Language Learner Success. (n.d.).