Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman Essay
Thinking, fast and slow is an overview and explanation of the Nobel Prize winning insights from the famous psychologists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tverskey. It is the bestselling book and was published in 2011. It is awarded for the best creative academic work different topics were introduced including the connections among different disciplines of science, engineering and medicine. It is considered as one of the bold, profound and complete in intellectual surprises. The book explains psychologically how the fast automatic as well as slow rational thinking help us to survive in the difficult world. The main aim of the paper is to discuss the synthesis as well as the basic components described in the book.
In this book with the help of different examples the concept of thinking’s is described. The author initially let us imagine as the first human on the earth. I am walking with a kid on the way and found a lion. I make my kid to play with it but the lion kills and eats the child (Kahneman, 2011). The next time he makes his wife pregnant and another kid is born. The main walks with that kid and when they sees the lion and hides themselves. After sometime they sees a bird and the child again dies at the scene. For explaining the concept he categorized the thinking in system 1 theory as well as system 2 theory. The system 1 theory is based on the fast and automatic. It is useless, irrational and illogical as it only expresses what to do because of the past experience but because of the current situations. In contrast the system 2 is slow and logical. It is rational, and it would let us explain that the kid’s death would be connected to the lion but not the bird.
The book basically comprises of all of the phases of the analytical thinking. Daniel explained in his book in many ways about the falsehoods which the people make.
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact”
In this quote he have expressed that the people mostly believe in the wrong side and do what they have done and continuously repeating. The purpose is straight forward as the people don’t want to understand the truth behind a procedure and they use to follow it by thinking lastly and irrationally. The reason of survival is also because of both the systems. The main and the basic aim of the book was to described the big idea in which there would be the development of understanding that which system should be used either the logical or the fast (Kahneman, 2011).
“Intelligence is not only the ability to reason; it is also the ability to find relevant material in memory and to deploy attention when needed.”
The book is based in a number of concepts being defined and explained their concepts accordingly. Daniel have explained about the persuasion marketing in which he have discussed that the power of persuasion is not to explain the reason but to only intuition them. There are some social, cognitive as well as economic factor which ae also discussed in the book. Most of them are understood are explained. There are some heuristics designed for the system 1 in which the first one of heuristics is the affect. In the response of this heuristic the individual will reply with emotions and would not judge the situation while understanding the results and benefits. The anchoring of the heuristic is that the recently obtained or analyzed information is enough for decision-making or not. The availability of the heuristic would be considered to be self-understanding but in the current world, nobody is engaged with such heuristic and everyone is driven by the media and its coverage shown in all over the world.
On the other side there are some bias of the system 1 which are action in which the belief is considered and because of that belief an individual is able to find a conclusion. Similarly some the bias could also be described in which the loss of aversion. IN this there is an enhanced risk of losing something or someone. The mainstream media acts an important role in regulating a number of life activities. For example an individual is travelling to New Yok, he would not thing of the plane crash of a terrorist attack. This is the peace of mind being achieved always. The peace of mind is highly disturbed by the mainstream media in which the most prominent are that it is exaggerating the terrorism and other local as well as international issues. Even though the probability of these problems could be close to 0% (Kahneman, 2011).
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it”
According to the analysts, there would be a 10% of chance to die. In a situation but in contrast, it is always forgotten that the probability of living is 90% which is forgotten completely when a concern is under discussion. It explains that for the increase of the stress levels in the common public by overstressing and overstating explanations. It is a concept of framing and the author have properly explain this concept with a number of examples a swell. Framing is mostly for making good things more convincing, painful and to create an influence.
In a general perspective, the author’s points could be considered as completely true because the current world is completely following the system 1. It is irrational and inefficient. There are more possibilities of making same mistakes in this system but if the thinking is changed from the system 1 to system 2 then it would become rational and analytical. By the analytical as well as rational thinking the problems would be solved in no time and the hard situations will also unable to effects the mental health and stability. Since the author have completely organized his point of view in the book so while reading the book all of its components are clear. There is very less possibility of getting divergent of the ideas and discussion because most of the book’s ideas comprises of the examples which keep the reader engaged with the analytical thinking’s and strong belief in thinking about his thoughts and actions.
In a nutshell, the book have a number of different components with respect to the synopsis. There are a number of factors and discussions with the help of strong examples which have helped the reader to understand the problems of the system 1 and the benefits of the system 2. There is a discussion in the book about the hopelessness. It is a fact and a complete discussion in the book that people would be least likely to do the same mistake. It is complicated to explain that the big picture could be destroyed if it is presented in a wrong way. The people are not able to perceive the knowledge but they are more focused on the presentation of the information. In different contexts a huge number of population is not able to live in a normal life and finds themselves in different problems of mental health and sickness. This is all because of the wrong presentation of the data.
Kahneman, Daniel. Thinking, fast and slow. Macmillan, 2011.