Currently, a lot of people pick nursing as an occupation. There are many details to ponder in gratifying a professional nurse but consideration is often a feature required for nurses. This is for the purpose that taking care of the patients’ requirements is its crucial resolve. Jean Watson‘s “Nursing Theory” mainly worries on how nurses care for their patients and how that caring advancements into enhanced strategies to encourage health and wellness, avoid illness and refurbish health. According to Watson’s theory, Nursing is disturbed with encouraging health, avoiding illness, compassionate for the sick and reestablishing health. It emphases on health advancement, as well as the management of diseases. According to Watson, caring is central to nursing training which encourages health better than a simple medical cure. The nursing model also describes that caring can be revealed and experienced by nurses. Caring for patients encourages growth, a caring environment agrees to a person as he or she is and looks to what he or she may become. The human care theory is the major concept of caring, while the caring idea of the nursing is more intangible in its explanation. The operationalization and solicitation to the ranges of practice, governance and research are also examined. Watson’s model has certain assumptions which include that caring can be efficiently verified and experienced only inter personally. Caring contains curative features that effect in the fulfillment of positive human needs. Efficient caring enhance health and individual or family growth. Caring reactions accept the patient as he or she is now, as well as what he or she may become. A caring atmosphere is one that suggests the improvement of potential while permitting the patient to pick the best action for him or herself at a given point in time. A science of caring is corresponding to the science of preserving. The preparation of caring is central to nursing. Community offers the principles that govern how one must act and what goals one must struggle toward.
Description of Watson’s Caring theory
The concept evolved in Watson nursing theory is caring. Caring has been demonstrated in different ways. Due to the unlike nature of caring as a theory, a search of the literature was unproductive in the outcome of a single definition of the term, as it relates to nursing. The dispute grants herself that caring is not antique to nursing (Clark, 2016) defines the dissertation of whether caring should be part of the meta-paradigm of nursing or whether it is a central perception appropriate to many other professions and hypothetical perspectives. While the probable for discussion. Watson opinions caring as not just an action or task but relatively the ethical and moral ideal from which nurse’s associated with their patients.
Watson describes the carative procedures, all of which reports global schedules and/or involvements by the nurse. At some point, the carative procedures can be characterized by the type of involvements. Some carative procedures incorporate actions on the part of the nurse that allows for the reliable use of self within the association. Watson emphasizes the capability of the nurse to recognize, relate and elaborate interferences inside the background of the theory relies upon a broad base of information and capability in scientific caution. The mechanisms of the theory are reliant upon each other and should be constant. However, there is more to caring than simply executing actions which are instructed in the everyday duties of nursing. Caring involves a commitment to recognize the patient and oneself (Watson & Woodward, 2013), to be in the moment with the patient and to make a sensible struggle to generate not just a caring environment but one that rectifies.
From this whole study, I have decided to select the skill of nursing as one of the biggest nursing techniques that need to be sorted according to the Watson. Typically we think of something as aesthetic as pleasing to one of the intelligence. Every individual defines and replies inversely to what is aesthetically pretty. Defining aesthetics in relationship to a theory becomes tricky as a theory’s attributes do not necessarily translate to beauty. The elements which define the skill as the product, the technical skills involved in to act, and process that shape these elements in to more satisfactory.
Essential components based on three major skill of the nursing components which includes as, the specialist preparations, relationship-centered preparations, and its outcomes.
- Specialist preparations refer to the knowledge and experience in order to solve the problems to think what is customary and usual. Evidence-based guidelines cannot provide answers to the situation which required a more creative response.
- Relationship-centered preparations gave liberty to nurse to take the decisions linked to patient caution created on past familiarizes with the condition, an attentiveness and information of self and an acceptance of the patients’ requirements.
- Outcomes of the physicians are also very productive and optimistic about performing the skill of nursing (Ozan & Okumuş, 2017). However, the repeated association between the person and specialized development that a nurse can convey to his/her practice.
The relationship between the two theories
The relationship between these two theories is as follows.
- The empirical knowledge of is necessary for nursing, personal recognition is crucial in the skill of nursing, by changing the instant to one is unique and significant to the patient and the nurse.
- Several characteristics of nursing probably changed with the passage time but the theory of caring has remained constant.
- Healing practice initiates with the caring instant craftily experienced by the nurse who carries her candid self into the instant.
- The skill of nursing is established from the nurse’s previous practices, both personal and work life. Nurse inadequate in knowledge may still be able to generate a caring situation for the patient as discussed in the human care theory.
- Caring is more action based, than the skill of nursing. The art of nursing is less noticeable, such as the use of responsiveness where the thoughtful physician ponders the actions and their importance to the patient.
- The act of caring as discussed in Watson’s human care theory does not require the use of intuition. Though, the preparation of nursing progresses to the skill of nursing, in this regard intuition plays a significant role. Intuition mostly depends on an assembly of data and as the nurse becomes proficient, is able to incorporate that data.
- In order for caring or the skill of nursing to happen, the nurse must feel abounding with the patient. The nurse determines kindness and caring for the patient that surpasses daily hand-holding when she is attentive.
- Human care theory can be used in numerous situations such as nursing practice, leadership and education. While the skill of nursing lacks a single definition and as such, it would be problematic to state where and how it is being trained. But if one believes that crafty nursing happens after a nurse has grasped a confident level of capability and involvement, then it would stand to a purpose that the skill of nursing is also practiced in a variety of settings.
- The Human care theory is valuable in training as it inspires nurses to ponder the patient as a whole (Sitzman & Watson, 2013). One can use the Human care theory to guide nursing involvements and create consequences and would be most suitable for the mollifying care. However, in the skill of nursing, nurses utilize theory in their training develop improved nurses as they use their scientific information combined with the information resulting from the theoretical basis. In this way, they also may integrate the skill of nursing as their scientific experience increases.
Figure1: Source Author
Figure 2: Source (Author)
Application of both the theories
Human care theory can be used in numerous situations such as nursing training, leadership and education. It is the theory that is trained internationally. However, the skill of nursing lacks a single characterization and as such, it would be challenging to the state where and how it is being trained (Watson, 2014). But if one believes that crafty nursing occurs after a nurse has grasped a certain level of capability and involvement, then it would stand to the purpose that the skill of nursing is also experienced in a range of situations.
The Human care theory also emphases on caring for oneself and being genuine. Genuine leadership can support to generate a healthy work environment which in turn leads to increased staff pleasure and consequently, improved patient fulfillment. However, the skill of nursing involves using a spontaneous intellect, so one might say that there is a skill to being an operative leader.
The theory has a place in the occupation of nursing. It advances order to what could be messy without the procedures theory offers. In writing this paper, I have had to investigate and think about theories which while often difficult to bring about a greater responsiveness and thoughtfulness of Watson’s theory. The human care theory develops a humanistic method and can be valuable in different areas of nursing. It is also a magnificent method to everyday life. It highlights the reputation of being in the moment and that comprises not only for the patient but also for one’s own loved ones. It legitimizes the idea of taking care of oneself, of using thoughtful training and of being expressively associated with the patients.
Clark, C. S. (2016). Watson’s human caring theory: Pertinent transpersonal and humanities concepts for educators. Humanities, 5(2), 21.
Ozan, Y. D., & Okumuş, H. (2017). Effects of Nursing Care Based on Watson’s Theory of Human Caring on Anxiety, Distress, And Coping, When Infertility Treatment Fails: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of caring sciences, 6(2), 95.
Sitzman, K., & Watson, J. (2013). Caring science, mindful practice: Implementing Watson’s human caring theory. Springer Publishing Company.
Watson, J. (Ed.). (2014). Assessing and measuring caring in nursing and health science. Springer Publishing Company.
Watson, J., & Woodward, T. K. (2013). Jean Watson’s theory of human caring. Nursing theories and nursing practice, 3, 351-369.y