Disability Education Act (IDEA) Essay
Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA) formulated policy to address the difficulties faced by students in learning due to inappropriate behaviors. The purpose of the policy was to provide better learning opportunities to the children by addressing their behavioral problems. IDEA 300. 346 (2)(i) determines the need for positive behavioral interventions the allow students to get rid of the inappropriate behaviors. Negative behaviors such as aggression, intolerance and emotional distress affect the learning capabilities of students. It is vital for the students to overcome adverse behaviors and increase their academic performance. IDEA regulations 300. 530 (f)(1) focus on eliminating negative behavioral traits from the children that deteriorates their personality.
The IEP standards stressed on adoption of instructional strategies that facilitate students to learn across different content areas. The strategies focused on enhancing literary skills by improving reading, writing, listening and speaking. The strategy has a vital role in retaining content knowledge and developing content-specific abilities. Literary specialists and coaches work on remedial readings that improve language and literacy performance. Instructional strategies are effective in improving comprehension and vocabulary of the students. IEP standards state that the teachers must adopt the reasonable strategy that maximizes the learning capabilities of students.
Comprehension strategies: questioning, analyzing, evaluating
The strategy focuses on adopting comprehension strategy that permits learners to engage with the literary teacher. The language teacher through active interaction with the students and questionnaire technique involves them in the discussion that uncovers their area of strengths and weaknesses. The strategy involves developing media message that promotes healthy behavior. Teaching focuses on visual arts and literacy skills that help in the evaluation of children’s level of understanding. The teachers can uncover the learning gap and highlight the problems that affect their literacy performance. The key concept focuses on components of the body such as fitness and body types.
- The comprehension strategy will allow students to interpret media message and explain their understanding of the message. The task is challenging for the students as it allows them to use their creativity and find the exact message on media.
- The process challenge students to create their advertisement that allows them to target audience of their age groups. (Honig, Diamond, & Gutlohn, 2000).
To develop oral language skills, the trainers focus on thinking ability using mental visual images.
- The teachers encourage students to think that helps them in getting information from reading and writing of texts.
- Students identify and label things using words.
- They relate information and ideas with conjunctions.
The trainers work to enhance the vocabulary of the grade level students by creating a world map in the form of the diagram. Students can learn more quickly from diagram as it includes an element of fun.
- Providing a word and asking students to explore the meaning and purpose.
- Asking students to find the definition of the word and explain it.
- Providing some synonyms for the words.
- Explaining the word through specific examples that increase understanding.
- Discussing word map and encouraging the student to present in class.
- The teacher can also use modeling to enhance the learning of the students.
The teacher focuses on background knowledge of the children by allowing them to use their minds productively. The students through their thinking can find the meaning of specific words leading them to evaluative judgments.
- The trainer divides reading assignments into different phases.
- The teacher promotes creative thinking of the students as they use their minds for finding meanings.
- The students write about the individual predictions in oral discussions.
- Sharing of ideas and exchanging words promote reader thinking.
- The teacher and students uncover how they can use the strategy that facilitates critical thinking.
The teachers introduce new words to the students and adopt convenient strategies that help them in learning. To improve spelling of children teachers conduct weekly and monthly assessments. The components of spelling emphasize on;
- Phonemic awareness
- Blending sounds and spelling words from simple to complex
- Developing self-correctional spelling skills
Honig, B., Diamond, L., & Gutlohn, L. (2000). Teaching Reading: Sourcebook for Kindergarten through Eighth Grade. ERIC.