It based on the attribution of charisma to the leader’s qualities regarding behavior and expertise. It is a leadership format that impact loyalty, enthusiasm and performance.
The history of the charismatic leader is evident in various leaders formats such as Martin Luther King, Pope John Paul II, bill gates and Michael Jordan. The style is visionary. It impacts the followers through leader’s risk-taking decision, broad vision, dominance, self-confidence and strong beliefs.
Characteristics of the charismatic leaders
The following qualities of the charismatic leaders are as follows:
1. risk takers on their self. They put themselves on the line of self-advocacy for the broader vision and hence, get acceptance and respect from the followers.
2. strong on self-confidence: they have unshakeable self-confidence quotient that they deliver to the followers along with the sacrifice.
3. Compelling and effective communication skills: they can deliver the complex concepts in clear form to every person, and people feel connected with him.
4. Empowerment: the main goal of the leader is resides in the fact that he cannot get to the top alone. And thus, believe in heightening the self-confidence in others through empowerment.
The followers of the leader will have faith in the leader, have affection for the leader, and establish an emotional connection it the goal achievement as participation in the successful leadership and performance.
Transformational leadership introduces to the continuum of innovation and change. It is a leadership format that includes the innovation, charisma, and intellect in the command. A transformational leader can incorporate charismatic qualities, but the charismatic leadership style cannot combine the transformational attribute because ir brings the change in innovation.
Characteristics of transformational leaders
1. The leaders transform the organization with risk-taking and vision based on self-intuition.
2. They stimulate the followers to participate and work apart from their self-gain.
3. They assess the situation and needs individually and work accordingly to bring long term alterations in the organization.
4. They have adopted the behavior of accepting innovation and casual attitudes of people.
The transformational leaders are proactive and transform the whole organization during resistance from the external environmental factors. One example of the transformational leader is Jack Welch who changed the bureaucratic GE organization into a learning organization, and it turned out to be the best firm in the world.
Both charismatic and transformational format have similarities, but the only difference is to bring the desired change. Transformational leadership goal is to change everything while charismatic leadership does not focus on bringing any alteration in the organization.
Lussier RN. Contemporary Perspectives. In: Management Fundamentals. 4th ed. OH, USA: Southwestern Cengage; 2008:323.
Lesson 5: Charismatic and Transformational Leadership Theories – LUJA521. Google Sites. https://sites.google.com/site/luja521/lesson-5. Accessed February 23, 2018.